Necessary Change of Visa Status for Job Changers
Under no circustances should your employment be different from what your status of residence allow you to engage in. If when you change your job and your new job differs from your status of residence, you must change your status of residence. If you do a job outside of your status of residence, you may get your status of residence canceled or get ungergo the procedures for deportation.
Cases Where a Change of Status of Residence is Required for Changing Jobs
1. Changing jobs to a company belonging to a different category of status of residence
EX: From Engineer to 「Specialist in Humanities and International Servicies
2. You left your current company and set up a company of your own and become the president.
EX: Changing your status of residence to Investor/Business Manager
Procedures When One Changes Job
There are three types procedures. Some people have done nothing and caused troubles. Please keep in mind to do the procedure of changing.
1. In the case of when there is no change of residence status. If you type of job is the same as your previous company and there is enough time with your period of stay, you should apply for Certificate of Authorization for Employment before you change job.
① Application for Certificate of Authorization for Employment② Passport or Resident Card (Alien Registration Card)③ Resume④ Withholding Records of your employment income and certificate of leaving employment⑤ Clear information about your new company
（1）Company registration certificate (3 months within issuance)
（2）Most recent profit and loss statement (for new businesses, a business plan for the following entire year)
*If the above publically issued documents describe the company clearly, then it is not needed⑥ Document that shows what you will be doing at the new company, duration, job title, and compensation. (one from the following)
（1）A copy of employment contract with the company
（2）A copy of letter of appointment from the company
（3）A copy of job offer letter from the company
（4）A document that is equivalent to the above ①〜③.⑦ One photograph（vertical 3cm×horizontal 2.5cm）
A photograph taken within 6 months before application. It should be bright and show the upper body without hat, and without backgroud.⑧ A revenue stamp of 680 Yen
*Paid when the certificate is issued to you
２．In the case of when there is no change of residence status. If you type of job is the same as your previous company but there is not enough time with your period of stay, you should apply for Certificate of Authorization for Employment before or after you change job.
３．If the category of your new job differs from your old job, you need to apply for Change of status of residence before changing jobs.
Guidelines on change of residence status and period of stay
Permission for change of status of residence and extension of period of stay shall be granted only when there are reasonable grounds to allow the Minister of Justice to deem it appropriate to do so. The decision as to whether or not there are reasonable grounds is mainly left to the discretion of the Minister of Justice, and such decision is made totally in view of various factors, such as activities in which an applicant intends to engage, the applicant’s residential status and necessity to reside, taking into account the requirements listed below. However, among those requirements, conformity with status of residence specified in item 1is a requirement to be satisfied when permission is granted. In principle, applicants are required to comply with the landing permission criteria stated in item 2. The requirements stated in item 3 and subsequent items are representative elements to consider in determining whether or not there are reasonable grounds to deem that perm ission is appropriate. Even if an applicant satisfies all the requirements, the applicant may not be granted permission for change or extension as a result of considering all circumstances taken overall. For the purpose of encouraging them to join the social insurance system, applicants have been required to show their insurance cards at the reception counter when they submit an application since April 1, 2010.
1. Activities in which an applicant intends to engage must correspond to any status of residence listed in the Appended Tables of the Immigration Control Act.
2. Applicants must conform in principle to the landing permission criteria provided for by Ordinance of the Ministry of Justice.
3. Applicants must have good behavior.
4. Applicants must have sufficient assets or ability to make an independent living.
5. Proper employment and working conditions must be met.
6. Tax obligations must be fulfilled.
7. Obligations provided by the Immigration Control Act, including notification obligations, must be fulfilled.
8. Applicants must join social insurance.
* Pleae check the details at the home page of Immigration Bureau and the home page of Ministry of Justice.